Saturday 17 November 2012

Commitment

Spot the sober person!  (Carrum Beach, Melbourne, Australia)
There comes a time during every commitment where it's tempting to doubt and question whether to continue.  That time for me has been over the last month.  Not drinking alcohol during winter was a breeze (excuse the pun).  Any desire to drink was only momentary, sweeping and followed by a deep appreciation for the positives of my abstinence.  Over the last 8 months I've had times where I've wondered whether I would ever want to drink again and I do think that at some point in my life I will stop drinking altogether, but for now my goal was to challenge societies views on alcohol and I feel like I've done that.  

At this point I've achieved everything I was aiming to do and more than I imagined and I've found myself contemplating whether to end my abstinence here.  I'm so busy taking action on the things I set out to do that I have less time to analyse my life without alcohol.  With wedding season in full swing and the festive season fast approaching I've bargained with myself that the odd celebratory champas wouldn't hurt, but I'm still having a ball at events without drinking (this photo taken at an engagement party being a perfect example), so on the other hand there's also no reason why I need to drink.  Looking at what I've achieved so far makes me all the more curious to see what the next 4 months will bring.  So I'm honouring my commitment through the summer and all the way to March 25th 2013.  Let the sober festive season begin!

If you would like to support this cause you can recommend this page below or donate at this link: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/sarah_walton_6

No comments:

Post a Comment