Sunday 25 March 2012

The Man in the Mirror

Michael Jackson said "If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change"...


Seminyak, Bali
So, "I'm starting with the man in the mirror".  As of today March 25, 2012 (my 32nd birthday) I'm abstaining completely from alcohol for 1 year in an attempt to create awareness and raise money for those affected by drug and alcohol abuse.   If you would like to donate to my chosen charity Odyssey House you can do so at the bottom of this page. 
My cigarette smoking and partying days of my 20s are behind me and I'm at the point in my life where I'm focussing on achieving my dreams and my goals.  Only 6 months after quitting smoking I wrote a feature film script that made it into the finals of an international competition and I trained myself to stretch my 5 minute running record to at least 90 minutes. 

This got me thinking... Is alcohol holding me back too?  I wonder what I could achieve in a year without drinking?  Well, I'm about to find out...


Odyssey House is "Providing Opportunites for Change and Growth".
If you would like to support the cause you can recommend this page below or donate here: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/sarah_walton_6

6 comments:

  1. such a great cause, but such a pretentious photo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment :-) Glad you support the cause xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't drink anymore so i definitely support the cause. You definitely get a better sense of clarity when you can arent killing your brain and relying on it to have a good time- especially when you can experience the full range of emotions sober, and enjoy life with much more intensity by facing everything dead on.

    Btw, maybe a picture of you hugging starving african children might be more appropriate to gain more support.. jk

    Michael Jackson touched many children..... 's hearts with that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Nice one! I'm actually visiting Odyssey House (my chosen charity) to see first hand what they do and was hoping to take pictures to share on my blog (if they will let me!) So stay tuned for that!

    Yes, I totally agree on how good it feels when we allow the brain to work at full capacity without it being hindered by alcohol damage. Here's to enjoying life without alcohol or fear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must feel great being one of a kind. Yes, i know, "Here's to not drinking!" *raises martini/cocktail glass while laying back on a 1st world day spa padded bench; while looking tipsy with a maniacle sarcastic laugh* isn't exactly the best depiction for a charitable cause ;)

    At the same time, i love the photo, it represents your classical free spirited essence/nature. It has so much to it, it feels like im analysing a picasso painting.. You've inspired me- please let me write your biography when you're famous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) Ha, yes! You are right on the money! I was trying to depict exactly that! The pic was actually taken when I was in Bali about 6 months back. I chose it because it symbolises the commercial view of drinking and the way it is glorified as glamorous and fun.
    I'm humbled by your talent as a writer and look forward to you writing my biography ;-)
    Thanks again for your support and for inspiring me too xo

    ReplyDelete