Thursday 12 April 2012

Stressed? Confess, Digress... Progress!

"If a warrior is to succeed at anything, the success must come gently, with a great deal of effort but with no stress or obsession" ~ Carlos Castaneda

Albert Park, Melbourne, Australia
It’s fair to say that most of our stress stems from worrying about what others think of us.  Whether it be our boss, our partner, our family, friends or those special people who challenge us (also fondly known as our “enemies”); we are constantly trying to gain approval to validate who we “believe” we are and what we believe we should be “achieving” in our lives. 
When I set aside the need for approval from others and focus on approving of myself, not only do I feel less stressed, but funnily enough I seem to get approval from the people I was trying to get it from in the first place.  It’s like we were brought up in a society where everything we were taught was backwards.   I feel like I’m back in primary school and it’s Opposites Day!  "I care what other people think… NOT!  It’s Opposites Day!"  [cue children laughing].
I’m not pretending I have all the answers and I know I never will, but it’s true when they say “life is a journey”
and I finally feel like I’m enjoying the ride!

If you would like to support the cause you can recommend this page below or donate here: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/sarah_walton_6

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Miss Sarah Walton! It's been a long time since we chatted. "Confess for success" resonates so close to home! What were you thinking?!! Thinking of me perhaps when you wrote this?!! Thinking of all of us no doubt. The chameleons who think we need to blend in, conform…become "Another brick in the wall". Modern society is a bitch isn't it? A production line of Gatsbys chasing the American Dream! A montage of scenes from Chaplin's "Modern Times" just started flashing in my mind. Keep writing!! Love your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heey Raji! Great to hear from you! Yes I think you and I are often on the same wave length :-) Think I may have to check out Chaplin's "Modern Times" after your comment! Thanks for the love. Hope all is well with you xo

    ReplyDelete