Wednesday 18 July 2012

Life is like a (half) marathon

Federation Square, Melbourne, Australia
Life is like a marathon.  
We draw inspiration from the people in front of us 
and we are humbled by those behind us, 
but the key is to stay focussed on ourselves,
where we're headed 
and compete only against our own best.
If we focus too much on the people overtaking us 
or in front of us we can become disheartened 
and if we look back too often at those behind us 
we can lose focus and trip up.  
There are always going to be rough spots;
pain kicks in, we feel like we can't take it any longer
and we want to give up.
But when we push through, adrenalin kicks in, 
we're taken to another level 
and we experience an intoxicating, rewarding high.

On Sunday I ran my fist half marathon.  This time 1 year ago I was recovering from surgery.  This time 2 years ago I couldn't run for longer than 5-10 minutes at a time (and I thought I never would).  
It wasn't easy, but I did it and I'm getting the sense that it's true when they say anything is possible.

If you would like to support the cause you can recommend this page below or donate here:http://www.everydayhero.com.au/sarah_walton_6

No comments:

Post a Comment