Friday 25 May 2012

Inner Child


"Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them." ~Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

Titled "A group of adult people." by Wikipedia
As adults we're told that it’s important to embrace our inner child.   But in our teens and our early twenties we’re told to stop behaving like children and “grow up!”.   I think somehow during the stages of developing as adults we were taught to repress our childish spirit, believing that in order to be responsible we had to stop having fun. 

I’ve looked up the definition of what it means to be an adult and no-where does it state that an adult must abstain from engaging in playful activity.  But society generally tells us (as in the exciting picture on the left) that being an adult means being serious all the time and in the process we have eliminated some “childish” behaviours and expression that are imperative to our happiness.
Is it a coincidence that most of us started drinking alcohol during our teens when we were expected to “grow up” and transition into adulthood?  Is it possible that we drank alcohol during this period as a way of holding onto our childhood?   

Most adults drink alcohol because they believe they can't let go and have fun without it.  I'd like to challenge that belief.  When I’m on the dance floor being silly and having fun these days I’m enjoying the fact that anyone who doesn’t know me probably thinks I’m drunk.  I have no excuse for my “childish” behaviour.  And it feels good.


If you would like to support the cause you can recommend this page below or donate here: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/sarah_walton_6

No comments:

Post a Comment